[GEMPAK #RVO-549444]: gempak 5.9.4 isssues

Tom,

Garp will attempt to use the datatype.tbl entry first (but won't find nam211
there...
the name of the dataset is the first column, not trying to match in the file
name
columns of datatype.tbl), and then would look for files that matched that
string in the
$grids directory defined at the top of the Garp_defaults file. When using that
type of
behavior of Garp without GEMPAK's file templates, all grids have to reside in a
single top
level directory of $grids rather than subdirectories that the individual
templates
allow.

Note that Garp_defaults uses the "HDS" environmental variable rather than
the "MODEL" environmental variable to define $grids. In Gemenviron, HDS is by
default defined to be the same as $MODEL, but you don't have to use it that way.

To use data from case studies, if they are in a single flat directory structure
the way the COMET case studies were, you can just redefine MODEL and HDS to the
directory before launching Garp. Having A Garp_defaults file for the case to
match
the modelkeys/modellabels expected for that case is fine. You can redefine
GARPHOME
and GARP_PATH for the case study configuration.

I had a presenter at the Unidata workshop this summer that wanted to
display data from a 1997 case study, and of course, the current model names
and 4 digit yyyy names didn't match the old data file names that were used
back in those days. Garp just needs to have a Garp_defaults file that matches
the
data naming for that case. You can have a datatype.tbl file for the case study
as well,
but that isn't necessary. The search order for finding files shown in cfl_tbop
is:
 * The table is split into the path and filename, and the file is       *
 * located by searching in the following order:                         *
 *                                                                      *
 *      1. filename (local)                                             *
 *      2. path/filename (table as given)                               *
 *      3. $NCDESK/type/filename                                        *
 *      4. $NCSITE/type/filename                                        *
 *      5. $GEMTBL/type/filename

A local datatype.tbl, or one placed in $NCDESK/config/datatype.tbl would
override
the standard $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl file so you can use that NCDESK or
NCSITE
variable in scripts which configure case studies.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
>
> > The gribkey.tbl nam entries were changed to nam/YYYYMMDDHH_nam211,
> > nam212, etc. however, you do not have to change the Garp_defaults table
> > as the datatype.tbl file defines eta, eta211, eta212, eta104, eta215,
> > eta218 so that the $MODEL/nam/YYYYMMDDHH_nam###.gem will be found.
> >
> > The datatype.tbl file also defines the nam, nam12, nam20, nam40, nam80
> > keys (ncep's convention of model resolution rather than grid number) so
> > that your Garp file can use modelkeys of nam80 and nam40 (but not nam211
> > and nam212 since they aren't defined in the datatype.tbl file...though
> > you could add them).
> >
> > The GFS211 key is defines in the datatype.tbl file which is why that
> > worked for you.
>
> Steve,
>
> It seemed like the nam211 would have been covered by this entry in
> datatype.tbl:
>
> NAM          $MODEL/nam                YYYYMMDDHH_nam211.gem
> CAT_GRD  SCAT_FCT   -1     -1     -1      OFF/0/0      4
>
> but apparently not, and so this is what tripped me up.
>
> > I tried to leave the Garp_defaults file with the eta model keys rather
> > than changing them to "nam" names since many users had the COMET case
> > studies, and those legacy names were important. You are correct that
> > since June 13, the NAM isn't the ETA model anm more, so using the NAM
> > convention is most correct.
> >
> > Anyhow, you should be able to get the Garp_defaults to work by using
> > either eta211 or nam80 and eta212 or nam40 (rather than nam211 and
> > nam212 as you have in modelkeys.tbl).
>
> I used eta211 & eta212 as keys and they were found, although I kept the
> Nam 211 & 212 labels; it doesn't really matter what the labels are.
>
> Now my question is: when using archival data rather than current data, how
> I can get garp to look in the archival data directory I have defined,
> rather than $MODEL?  (This is not a problem with other data types such as
> satellite, etc.  I described this problem in more detail in my first
> message to you of yesterday; see below.)
>
> Tom
> Tom McDermott                         305 Lennon Hall
> Systems Administrator                 Email: address@hidden
> Earth Sciences Dept.                  Phone: (585) 395-5718
> SUNY College at Brockport             Fax: (585) 395-2416
>

> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support

> >> Yes, I understand this, and why it would cause a problem.  However, it
> >> should find the datatype.tbl entry and not even default back to the old
> >> behavior.  And it did do this with avn==>gfs transition.

> >> Yes, I understand the problem with the fdf directory names; I just have to
> >> write a script to change the directory name and then copy over our
> >> customized macros from the old installation.
> >>
> >> Here are the modelkey and modellabel entries from the 5.7.2p2
> >> Garp_defaults:
> >>
> >> modelkeys  :
> [...]

Ticket ID: RVO-549444
Department: Support GEMPAK