[Support #FIR-444705]: Re: Gempak

Karl,

GEMPAK is not linked against shareable libraries, so adding $GEMLIB to your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH won't have much effect on running GEMPAK programs.

Going back to your description of "no luck":

> > Says here: To start a GEMPAK program, type the name of the program in
> > lower case...so let's say I open my bash shell and do:
> >
> > sflist
> >
> > so far no luck...

Can you elaborate on the luckless output above?

Assuming you have downloaded the MAC OSX binary distribution and installed
according to the installation web page...

Have you edited the Gemenviron.profile file for your environmental variables,
and then sourced the file into your
bash environment with
. "somepath"/Gemenviron.profile

Is sflist in your path after doing that?
Are you getting any output to the terminal about your lack of luck?

The Mac OSX binaries were compiled under Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0 if you are
missing any gcc libraries.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> OK, get ready for a basic question:
>
> Does Mac O/S use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or something else?
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GEMLIB:/usr/lib/:/lib
>
> did not solve the sflist missing libraries problem. Am I barking up the
> wrong tree?
>
> --
> Dr. Karl Hudnut        System Administrator      UCAR - COSMIC
> address@hidden    http://www.cosmic.ucar.edu    303 497 8024
>

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Jeff Weber wrote:
>
> > Hi Maggie,
> >
> > If GEMPAK is installed...and in your path, you should see something like:
> >
> > (jweber) lenny:/home/jweber 1 % sflist
> >  SFFILE    Surface data file                 $GEMDATA/HRCBOB.SFC
> >  AREA      Data area                         WV
> >  DATTIM    Date/time                         LAST
> >  SFPARM    Surface parameter list            SKYC;TMPF;WSYM;PMSL;;DWPF;BRBK
> >  OUTPUT    Output device/filename            T
> >  IDNTYP    STNM or STID                      STID
> >  Parameters requested: SFFILE,AREA,DATTIM,SFPARM,OUTPUT,IDNTYP.
> >  GEMPAK-SFLIST>
> >

> > I suspect one of the above is not happening :)
> >
> > What does: echo $GEMDATA
> >
> > and: echo $GEMPAK  return, it should look something  like this:
> >
> > (jweber) lenny:/home/jweber 2 % echo $GEMDATA
> > /data/ldm/gempak
> > (jweber) lenny:/home/jweber 3 % echo $GEMPAK
> > /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.10.1/gempak
> >

> > Hope this helps,
> >

> > Jeff
> > Jeff Weber                                    address@hidden        :
> > Unidata Program Center                        PH:303-497-8676        :
> > University Corp for Atmospheric Research      3300 Mitchell Ln       :
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/jweber      Boulder,Co 80307-3000  :
> >
> > On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, maggie wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Jeff:
> > > So I am going to learn Gempak and create all those really nice plots....
> > > hopefully...
> > >
> > > And
> > >
> > > Here I am web/manual tutorial on my lap...
> > > I am on:
> > > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/layout2a.html
> > >
> > > Says here: To start a GEMPAK program, type the name of the program in
> > > lower case...so let's say I open my bash shell and do:
> > >
> > > sflist
> > >
> > > so far no luck...
> > >
> > > Any ideas??
> > >
> > > Thank you all.