[GEMPAK #NJJ-918786]: Obscure station

John,

Christmas island METARs are being sent under the headers such as:
SAKB31 PLCH

The sfmetar_sa.tbl will need the PLCH location added in order to include
these in the decoded output file (just add the PLCH line that you can find in
the
$GEMTBL/stns/inactive.tbl file).

TAF messages (eg bulletins starting with "FT" are decoded with dctaf).
The $GEMTBL/stns/tafstn.tbl has several of the islands like Palau and Yap
but not Christmas. The sfchck program can be used to show if the decoded
taf station files have any missing station identifies, and nothing there shows
up
for Christmas.

If you are looking for synoptic reports, then I do find 91490 in the
data stream (It is decoded in the synop files from dclsfc using the 6 digit
identifier 91490):
lsfstns.tbl:PLCH     914900 CHRISTMAS ISLAND/CASSIDY         -- US   198 -15748

The bulletins are in the NGTT dissemination group:
905
SMKB01 NGTT 290600
AAXX 29064
91490 11599 29901 10264 2023/ 40092 60001 70121 82100 333 569//=

Are you really looking for TAF's or were you interested in obs?

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hello, Steve:
> We're doing some work at a remote site, Christmas
> Island, and I'm therefore interested in data access.
> I know that METAR reports are made there, but I'm
> not finding them in the .taf files (I went to Mother
> Lode in this case). Can you suggest another way?
> Should this question go to someone else? The station
> id is 91490 or 91492. I tried an area search that
> could have included other islands, but found nothing
> until I got to Hawaii. (I didn't expect Christmas
> in the sao files, and didn't find it.) Thanks for any
> help or suggestions you may have.  Oh, it may be
> relevant that the venerable World Monthly Surface
> Climatology (from NCDC, availalbe at NCAR/DSS) has
> only two years of data for Christmas, long ago.
> John M.

Ticket ID: NJJ-918786
Department: Support GEMPAK