Re: Higher resolution topographic gempak sat files

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 06:32 -0500, Alan Robson wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> That looks awesome and will do quite nicely as far as the resolution
> goes. We'll have to adjust the colors a bit so some of our darker items
> overlaid show up okay, but that won't be hard to do.
>
> I've never heard of a "gini" file, but I guess its just another sort of
> sat image file?

Alan,

Gini is the format of those remappes satellite images on NOAAport.
I can create an AREA file, but GINI was easier for a grid to image
process.

> Also, there's no reason why we can't initially output a .pcs file
> instead of .gif is there? The end user that we are initially doing this
> for wants .eps files for publication. Of course the color tables will
> have to have some adjustment compared to gif.

No reason. The postscript driver in GEMPAK is capable of printing the
SATFIL or RADFIL images being displayed.

> Thanks again for all your help and for getting this done so quickly. I
> really do appreciate it and this will end up improving the appearance of
> all of our products that use a "topo" background.
>
> Alan

Yes, the colors may be muted to make overlays more readable. Thats just
a matter of playing with the lut file.

Let me know if you need anything along the way.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support