Re: Higher resolution topographic gempak sat files

Alan,

I'll be out of the office next week for the AMS,  but would be happy to
work with you
more after I return.

It would be possible for me to provide you with the topo to grid to
image programs,
but you would have to run my binaries to do that until your version of
GEMPAK is capable of handling larger grids (since I use the grid
navigation routines to handle the
transformation from lat/lon projection to other projections). So, for a
quick start,
I provided a sample using the 5min dem data since it included bathymetry
as the image you are currently using does.

I created a ~6km resolution GIF as a sample from the 5min dem data at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/gifs/topo_nam.gif

You can download the gini file that created the image at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/gifs/ustopo_dem5.gini

For GINI, I used the GOES7 satellite ID here since you probably cannot
remap an unused ID with your version of GEMPAK. The
$GEMTBL/sat/imgtyp.tbl entry to display this image is:
TOPO                 TOPO_DEM5     0     95     33  32768      1
upc_dem5.tbl

You can download the color table for your $GEMTBL/luts directory here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/gifs/upc_dem5.tbl

The GPMAP parameters to display the image as the GIF above is shown
below, where I've added:
BND = lakes/24
to fill in the lakes as water color (since the DEM data would be above
sea level and not blue there). You can set the GAREA smaller than dset
as necessary.

 GAREA  = dset
 PROJ       = sat
 SATFIL   = ustopo_dem5.gini
 BND        = lakes/24
 LUTFIL   = default

The 30 second data is great for smaller areas where you can take
advantage of the resolution, more therelater if you feed this is where
you want to go.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support