In sfcfil, use:
 SFOUTF   = test.gem
 SFPRMF   = bufr.pack
 STNFIL   =
 SHIPFL   = y
 TIMSTN   = 1/8762
 SFFSRC   = UNKN
 GEMPAK-SFCFIL>

Your sffsrc must be one of the recognized types, not the name of a data file as
you had previously.

For your data set, the packing file can be:
SELV         0.      10000.      1.
TMPC       -50.         50.     .1
DWPC       -50.         50.     .1
SPED         0.        60.      1.
DRCT         0.        360.     10.
PRES       600.       1080.     .1

Don;t store the SLAT and SLON as a parameter here.

In your input SFEDIT file, you have a few small corrections:
The PARM line had comma instead of a ";". Use:
 PARM = SLAT;SLON;SELV;TMPC;DWPC;SPED;DRCT;PRES

Change your times from 4 digit years to 2 digit years (I did a quick global
replace of 20060713 with 060713).

In your SLAT and SLON data currently, you have -104.59 as SLON for every
station, but
have what looks like SLON specified for the SLAT column, so you just need to
fix that.

I ran SFEDIT as:
 SFEFIL   = 2006071313_rtmagemob.dat
 SFFILE   = test.gem
 GEMPAK-SFEDIT>r

 SFEDIT PARAMETERS:

 Edit file:           2006071313_rtmagemob.dat

 Output surface file: test.gem

 Parameters to be added to file:

 SLAT SLON SELV TMPC DWPC SPED DRCT PRES
Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT:
 Parameters requested: SFEFIL,SFFILE.
 GEMPAK-SFEDIT>

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to put together a file that will be used to plot station
> observations in GEMPAK. The station observations are from the mesonet, so
> a lot of the stations are not built into the GEMPAK station location
> tables--I know I must create a ship file for this, but I've been getting
> loads of errors when I try running SFCFIL. My settings for SFCFIL are:
>
> SFOUTF    Output surface file               test.gem
> SFPRMF    Surface parameter packing file    ./bufr.pack
> STNFIL    Station information file
> SHIPFL    Ship data file flag               YES
> TIMSTN    Times/additional stations         1/8762
> SFFSRC    Surface file source               2006071313_rtmagemob.dat
> Parameters requested: SFOUTF,SFPRMF,STNFIL,SHIPFL,TIMSTN,SFFSRC.
>
> And the error codes from the run:
>
> [FL -3]  Cannot create file test.gem.
> [DM -1]  File test.gem cannot be created.
> [SF -1]  File test.gem could not be created.
>
> Now, I'm I correct in thinking that TIMSTN is the number of times and
> stations in the file? In my case, I believe that's 1/8762, because I have
> one reporting time (20060713/1300) and 8762 observations (1 ob per
> station). I've tried all sorts of combinations for TIMSTN... and I'm just
> not getting this to work. I've attached the bufr.pack and my surface
> source file to this email. I'd appreciate any help you all can provide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan Tyndall

Ticket ID: ZWT-869984
Department: Support GEMPAK