[GEMPAK #DSS-735807]: Restore File Jet Stream

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to create a restore script file to plot a field with shaded
> jet strem and geopotential height in 250 hPa like the analisys in HPC
> (http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/international/samjet00.gif ).
>
> I' ve tried to use an existing file (p.ex.
> restore/modl/global/ransnocsi_700-850) tosee how to do it but I didn't
> have success.
> I need to know how to use " gdpfun " and other parameters to plot only
> shaded wind contours and not  plot wind vectors.
>
> Cheers,   Giovanni

Giovanni,

To plot shaded areas for wind speeds (using the image you reference above) at
250 hpa
and overlay pmsl, you would use:

GLEVEL   = 250 ! 0
GVCORD   = pres ! none
SCALE    = 0
GDPFUN   = knts(mag(obs)) ! pmsl
TYPE     = f ! c
CINT     = 4
FINT     = 70;90;110;130;150;170;190
FLINE    = 0;24-30

The "type" parameter specifies the first parameter will be filled,
while the second is contours. The 250 hpa wind speed (in knots)
is the first parameter, sea level pressure is the second.

By specifying the list of FINT levels, just those levels will
be used. The first folor in FLINE is "0" which means to not fill
the values below 70 knots. The remaining colors will be used for the
filleds ranges specified.

In the above, since there is only 1 fill and 1 contour, the CINT and FINT
specifications
are unique. If you have more parameters, the the "!" to separate out the level
and
fill configurations.

If you have any questions, let me know....

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: DSS-735807
Department: Support GEMPAK