[GEMPAK #PIM-631338]: plotting surface data

> Hello:
>
> I am more than a little frustrated with the online tutorial. It assumes
> that the user knows a lot more than some do.  A good example of that is
> how to plot a simple surface map.
>
> The best you can muster is to use the HRCBOB.sfc file. I have tried
> using dcmetr to create a .gem or .sfc file, but it is not working.
>
> dcmetr sfc.gem < u/nwstg/sao/15042106.sao   where u/nwstg/sao is the nfs
> path to our noaaport.  We are using NOAAPORT from unisys.
>
> Al Perkins

Al,

The GEMPAK decoders generally use the FOS style (or AFOS style) datastream
bulletin delimeters
for products. The Unisys web page:
http://weather.unisys.com/noaaport/index.html

contains the statement: "The client can receive the data as either raw NOAAPORT
 frames or as WMO bulletins
in a format similar to the old Family of Services (FOS) feed."

If your WMO format products do not contain the
[SOH][CR][CR][LF]...[CR][CR][LF][ETX] sequences,
then perhaps Unisys will be able to guide you on how to configure the system to
do so.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: PIM-631338