[GEMPAK #WSK-433263]: CONDUIT GFS003 grids

> I still cannot create cross sections with Garp either.... I can sort of
> trick it into allowing me to do a cross section, if I load a bunch of images
> with the plan view (after selecting the gfs003 grids from the pull down for
> data), then the machine is busy.  Then, if I click on the cross section icon
> at the top of the display, I get the window and have time to select the
> gfs003 grid before the window disappears and an error pops up!  After
> setting the default to gfs, like you told me before, it automatically
> defaults to the gfs thinned grids.  Anyway, once I have the menu available
> for the GARP cross section, it will let me make a display with one variable,
> but when I try to add a new variable, it ALWAYS crashes.

Ok. I had concentrated on your gdcross question because you said you couldn't
use
Garp in the field.

This is strange since the Garp_defaults file I sent you had gfs003 as the
default
model key,so I'm not sure why it is going to the thinned GFS- unless the
default mode
is listed as gfs and not gfs003 ( I checked the attachment I sent you though
and it
was gfs003). I can send it to you again, or you can send me yours- Or I can log
in
if you would provide me with that access.

> I just want/need to be able to make model cross sections of forecasts along
> satellite tracks for this validation experiment, but I cannot get anything
> to work:

Did you try using the Linux Binary I provided? I know you built locally, but
wasn't sure if you tried my binary first. I'm not seeing your gdcross
problem here. Can you send your run of gdcross by hand with your CXSTNS input
so I can see the history of the input and the error messages you got?

Did you try running "cleanup -c" to clear message queues and gplt processed out?

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> I cannot access these higher resolution gfs grids with mcidas to use the
> xsectg utility (besides, unless I have the grid files and do grid math, I
> don't have PV available, which I want to plot).
>
> It seems that gempak can do just what a want, with the grids that I have,
> but I cannot get anything to work.  (what a rotten way to end a friday)
>
> I will check in tomorrow if you have any other ideas...I may try again, but
> I'm lost on how to proceed.
>
> Jennie
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:28:25 -0700
> "Unidata CONDUIT Support" <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >>Its hard to speed learn this stuff....I am not getting it, I tried the
> >>following script, and read help on line, but I am missing something. Are
> >>the parameters that are blank supposed to be filled in? I am just trying to
> >>get one cross section for one time. I get a lot of nanosleep: Invalid
> >>argument errors?
> >
> > Jennie,
> >
> > Many GEMPAK parameters will guess reasonable defaults if left blank.
> >
> > Running the script as is (which changing your hardcoded GDFILE name to
> > GFS003 so that I get the latest GFS003 run (using the
> >$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl
> > template), I produce the output as attached.
> >
> > If you are seeing alot of nanosleep errors, try running:
> > cleanup -c
> >
> > You may have had a number of hung gplt processes and message queues that
> >needed to get cleared out.
> > Your glibc is probably old which is leading to that warning message.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User SUpport
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: WSK-433263