[GEMPAK #WSK-433263]: CONDUIT GFS003 grids

>Well, the models from yesterday afternoon, and the 00, 06 and 12Z models
>came in fine for today, so, maybe it was a transient problem??

Jennie,

It may be a problem with the LDM installation in the autoshipting of upstreams
( my hypothesis), so we changed the configuation on those machines here.
I need to provide a concrete example of how this happens to Steve for LDM sake.

>On another, more pressing issue, I am a bit confused about trying to get the
>cross section script running that you sent me (grcross_select.csh).
>
>In particular, I don't understand the
>restore nmap/restore/modl/global/500-250mb_pv

The GEMPAK distribution provides a wealth of restore "NTS" files for using with
NMAP2,
as well as other programs which are located under $GEMNTS. The file
$GEMNTS/nmap/restore/modl/global/500-250mb_pv is a ready made set of
configurations for
plotting potential vorticity in the layer 500-250 mb, with 300mb winds, SLP,
and BL Thte.
I could run the program by setting each parameter, rather than using the
restore file, but since it already exists, I used it, you have it in the
distribution,
and it saves scripting time.

>I also am not sure how the end point that are being selected from the
>interactive map are being passed to the cross section below.

When the "cursor cxstns" command is run, it allows you
to click and drag a line for the cross section axis on the 2-d planview map.
When you release the mouse, the end points are stored in the CXSTNS variable
(which
gets written into the gemglb.nts file you will find in your working directory
along
with all the other current variable settings). When you run gdcross, it loads
the
settings from gemglb, which include the CXSTNS setting. You can then modify
from there.
For a quick help on the "CURSOR" command, type "phelp" then return at the
GEMPAK prompt in
any GEMPAK program.

>What if I just skip this part of selecting the cross section endpoints and
>pass known points (lat/lon) to the cross section script? (I say this
>sheepishly thinking, come on Jennie, go read the manual....!)

Sure, you can just set CXSTNS=lat1;lon1>lat2;lon2 in the script, or by passed
variable,
or through a restore "NTS" file. Abyway you like. I just thought it would be a
useful example to
show that you could plot a 2-D PV map which might allow you to gain insight as
where you wanted to draw the cross section (interactively). If you have
specific ways
of generating the points you need for the cross section axis, then you can
bypass all that
earlier part and just use shell input to set the CXSTNS  variable in GDCROSS.
If you run the script with an argument like:
grcross_select.csh 'lat1;lon1>lat2;lon2'        <<--- enclodes in quotes to
protect the ';' and '>'

Then you could run in the script:

gdcross << EOF_GDCROSS
   CXSTNS = $1
etc...
   run

   exit
EOF_GDCROSS

Where $1 would be the first command line argument to the script (eg:
'lat1;lon1>lat2;lon2').

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: WSK-433263