[GEMPAK #SKO-439884]: Struggling with GEMPAK on RHEL4 x86_64

Daryl,

Are you using the Linux binary I provided, or one compiled locally?
If you built locally, did you use openmotif? Are you using gcc4.0/g77 3.4?

Since you said that the _gf type of program is bombing (which is a program
compiled without the mesage queue change provided by Albany), the problem
seems like more of a X type of problem if the basic programs like
sfcfil, gdinfo and decoders work (and you haven't recently recompiled the 5.8.3a
version under the same environment as the 5.9.1 that is having problems).
If you can verify that, it would be a start. Also, if scripts that require
connection
to the X display hang, do they write to a virtual display, or bomb equally in a
user console display?

I build and test here under FC3/4 under both 32 and 64 bit environments, but
don't
have an RHEL type of environment.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport