[GEMPAK #LCY-696429]: GEMPAK and GARP

>By the way, any chance that you happen to have a little script handy that
>will just cross section a grid through some set of endpoints (where the end
>points can be entered, or edited?). That is what would really help me at
>this point, I cannot run the gui from the field anyway. But, I would love
>to look at some cross sections through these grids.

Jennie,

I have attached a short c-shell script for a gdcross plot using
a selected area, which runs similar to the map area selection example
I have in the tutorial
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/exam.html).

The script has some choices hardcoded into it, but will serve as a starting
point.

To use, change the "source /home/gempak/Gemenviron" location if this is
not where your installation has Gemenviron.

The GDFILE selection is set to GFS003 which is what you have. The GAREA
for the base map selection is set to "uslcc" which is a CONUS region.

The program runs "gdplot2" first to plot a base map using NMAP2's restore
file for 500-250 PV, PMSL and THTE (I just did that as an example
of using data to helkp the user select the region for cross section-
you could change, use your own settings, or simply a simple gpmap plot
without data). The "cursor cxstns" command then makes the program wait
for you to use the mouse to select the cross section axis (click the starting
point and drag to the end location).

After that, it will run the gdcross program with your selected CXSTNS axis.
At the moment, I have GDATTIM set for f000-f024 which will plot the 3 hourly
forecasts
from ) through 24 hours. You could go through 180 hours, pick a single time,
skip forecast hours etc.

I have gdcross run twice, first plotting the wind magnitude contours and
wind barbs, then a second time to overlay the PVOR(thta,wnd) field. Again,
you can go wild here- I just gave you a starting point. After each field
is drawn, the cross section will start looping (the ";l" command at
the gempak program prompt), and will loop until you "mose click" within the
looping window. The script will then exit.

Run the "gpend" command from the same terminal that you ran the script from to
close
the GEMPAK windows. You can modify to create gif output for a web page
animation etc.
If you have specific needs by Wednesday, let me know if I can be of help.

When you get time after your trip, I can look at your Garp displays etc.

The IDV should be able to use the GFS003 output from the Thredds server should
you be inclined to go that route.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: LCY-696429