Re: 20051206: Gempak to grib conversion of CED type grid

Kevin,

the generating process ID of the GFS model is 96
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/tablea.html
The subcenter should be 0. This will identify the grid
as NCEP's GFS model.

Most decoders do not care about a WMOHDR, which is only
used for broadcasting the data over the GTS.

The cpyfil value is used to specify a grid number for PDS octet 7,
otherwise, the value of 255 (gds defined will be used). It may be
that your proprocessing is specifically looking for the PDS octet 7
to specifically identify itself as #003 rather than 255. The
GRIB from NCEP would definitely have a value of 3 in octet 7.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support