20051110: Gempak - NARR topography in gdcross

Matthew,

The standard grid provided in NCEP data sets that gdcross is looking for is
PRES@0%none, which is surface pressure rather than a topography grid.
It may be that your data set conversion called this PRES@0%hght, which would
only need a quick GDDIAG run to rewrite the grid with the appropriate GPARM
output name. If you don't have a surface pressure grid through postprocessing
of the NARR, then the next step would be to create a quo(hght,topo) grid
for each pressure level (eg every 25 millibars), and then use that
to determine the surface pressure (eg where the pressure level where the
quotient = 1, but thats a long way around the problem).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support