20051024: Map border vs. panel border query

John,

To plot a box around your Map area which excludes the margins,
run GPBOX and set REGION=PLOT. I don't think you can do any more than
the panel lines in GDPLOT2 or other mapping programs.

Note that you have some margin area on either side of your map which
exists becuase your GAREA bounds create a region that isn't the same
x/y aspect as the viewport of the panel. You could adjust this
by tweaking the GAREA so that your map area fill more of the available
real estate.

Regarding contouring wind speed, where you had contoured UREL,
I'm assuming you want GFUNC=mag(wnd), where mag is the magnitude
function, and wnd is the total wind, or the equivalent to
VECR(urel,vrel).

On any coordinate, you can always compose a vector from component grids,
and take the magnitude for conturing as a scalar. If this isn't what you
are looking for, let me know.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support