Re: 20050808: Help needed with GARP map backgrounds and topo

Nicholas,

The $GEMMAPS/hicowo.cia is a binary file and not text. This is the file
that the plotting programs will be using.

The ascii version is located under $GEMMAPS/ascii/aschicowo.cia
after editing the ascii version, the file must be converted to the
gempak format file with ssfgsf.

I do not include the ascii tree in the Unidata GEMPAK distribution since
those files would add another 200MB to the tar file, and can be created
by running gsfssf on the binary file to create the ascii version.

If you have a text readable file, its not what GEMPAK is using, so that
would be a source of confusion about what you are seeing after making
changes.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support