20050808: Help needed with GARP map backgrounds and topo

Nicholas,

You can use locowo.gsf which does not show any borders such as you
mentioned.

To do a color filled area, you could use GPMAP with:

BND      = bg/24+world_bnds/8
$MAPFIL  = locowo.gsf
map      = 31/1/2
garea    = saudi
proj     = def

GEMPAK does not have the capability to reproject images, for the
existing topographic AREA files.

For higher resolution topography , you could create a topographic
grid file using gdtopo (and the 30 second topography file which you can
download from our web site...as described in gdtopo's phelp).

The GEMPAK map files can be edited from the ascii versions and recreated
into GEMPAK format using gsfssf and ssfgsf, though the locowo.gsf should
make that unnecessary.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport