20050405: Brazil PCDs: BRBK on NMAP2

Waldenio,

I provided Tom a map of Brazillian states a while back (Dec 2003) which he
was supposed to give you. I will attach it here for reference.
This file was converted from a shapefile to gempak using the
$GEMMAPS/programs directory programs shpcvt and ssfgsf.

The map file I've attached called "histbr.uni" can be placed into
$GEMMAPS. It can be plotted such as $MAPFIL=histbr.uni+base in the command
line programs, or added to the list of maps available in NMAP2 through
the map definition table $GEMTBL/nmap/mapovl.nmap and an alias created in
$GEMTBL/config/mapfil.tbl.

I've attached updates for these 2 tables above.

The NMAP2 "locator" widget (eg the bottom right corner of NMAP2 which
has the list of things the mouse pointer will display) has entries such as
"CITIES" currently, which references the US $GEMTBL/stns/cities.tbl file.

To add a Brazillian cities table, for example, $GEMTBL/stns/cites_br.tbl,
follow the format as described at the top of cities.tbl and add
this tables to the list in $GEMTBL/config/clo.tbl, eg:
CITIES_BR       0               cities_br.tbl

Then, add a line to $GEMTBL/nmap/locator.tbl for your CITIES_BR table
following the CITIES entry.

Also note, I added the Brazillian metar station sfmetar_brazil.tbl table
you provided to GEMPAK5.8.1 and added the additional stations into
sfmetar_sa.tbl

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Waldenio Almeida wrote:

> Hi Chiswell,
>
> Ok. Now I am inserting the data as SKNT.
> This works. :-)
>
> Now I have the instructions to
>
> - request the data of PCD/INPE by ldm.
> - insert them on GEMPAK using a perl script.
> - modify the GEMPAK GUI to plot these data.
>
> About the Brazil's political map and cities,
> what files I need to change ?
>
> Many Thanks,
> Waldenio.
>

> Unidata Support wrote:
> >
> > Waldenio,
> >
> > Store the data as SPED (units are m/s) or SKNT (units are knts)
> > and DRCT, and GEMPAK will be able to plot the wind barbs by
> > composing the vector BRBM in m/s, or BRBK in knts).
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support

! MAPFIL.TBL
!
! This table specifies map file alias names for GEMPAK map files.
! Map alias names can be used by GEMPAK programs to set the
! value of $MAPFIL.  The aliases are also used by NMAP/NMAP2 to
! specify the map overlays that appear in the "Map Selection" GUI.
! See $GEMTBL/nmap/mapovl.nmap for additional details.
!
! Note: Do NOT use tabs between columns in this table.
!
!!
! Log:
! S. Maxwell/GSC         1/97
! G. Krueger/EAI         4/97   Added zones
! G. Krueger/EAI         6/97   Added Oceanic Forecast areas
! C. Lin/EAI             7/97   Added Sigwx for AVN
! G. Krueger/EAI        10/97   Added Basic Weather 12/24hr & 36/48hr
! G. Krueger/EAI         6/98   Added North America Forecast Bounds
! J. Partain/MPC         7/98   Added MPC EPacific products area
! J. Partain/MPC         9/98   Added MPC NPac and NAtl products areas
! G. Krueger/EAI        10/98   Added Basic Weather GIF boundary map
! G. Krueger/EAI        11/98   Added Medium Range forecast boundary map
! G. Krueger/EAI        12/98   Added Pacific Surface forecast boundary map
! J. Partain/MPC         3/99   Added fcst boundary areas for Pac/Atl SFC Anal
! G. Krueger/EAI         6/99   Added Quantitative Precip Fcst Verification
! G. Krueger/EAI         7/99   Added Flight Information Region boundary map
! G. Krueger/EAI         9/99   Modified for new hi-res cwa map
! G. Krueger/EAI        10/99   Added new boundary files for TPC
! G. Krueger/EAI         1/00   Added River Forecast Center Basins
! T. Piper/GSC           4/00   Added Palmer Climate Zones
! T. Piper/GSC           8/00   Added State Boundaries
! D.W.Plummer/NCEP       2/01   Added DC VAAC Boundary
! S. Schotz/NCEP        11/01   Updated Documentation
! S. Jacobs/NCEP         5/03   Added HPCSFC
! G. Grosshans/SPC      10/03   Added Fire Weather Zones
! R. Tian/SAIC           2/04   Added US Time Zones
! A. Hardy/NCEP          3/04   Added Marine zones/Counties
! J. Morgan/OPC          8/04   Added 1000 Fathom Line
!
!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!ALIAS       DESCRIPTION              MAP FILE NAME
!(12)        (24)                     (12)
!-------------------------------------------------
bwx1224      Basic Weather 12 & 24hr  bwx1224.ncp
bwx3648      Basic Weather 36 & 48hr  bwx3648.ncp
bwxgif       Basic Weather GIF        mefbbw.ncp
medrange     Medium Range Weather     mefbmr.ncp
cwa          County Warning Areas     hicwa.nws
rfc          River Forecast Centers   rfc.nws
abrfc        AR-Red Basin RFC Basins  tprbab.rfc
lmrfc        Lower MS RFC Basins      tprblm.rfc
marfc        Mid Atlantic RFC Basins  tprbma.rfc
mbrfc        MO Basin RFC Basins      tprbmb.rfc
ncrfc        North Central RFC Basins tprbnc.rfc
nerfc        Northeast RFC Basins     tprbne.rfc
ohrfc        Ohio RFC Basins          tprboh.rfc
serfc        Southeast RFC Basins     tprbse.rfc
wgrfc        West Gulf RFC Basins     tprbwg.rfc
climate      US CPC Climate Zones     tpczus.cpc
palmer       US Palmer Climate Zones  tppzus.cpc
states       US states, NWS           histus.nws
county       US counties, NWS         hicnus.nws
zones        US zones, NWS            hiznus.nws
coast        World Coasts             hicowo.cia
country      Hi-res World Countries   hicywo.cia
inter        US Interstates           loisus.nws
base         Poltcal Bndry,World,CIA  hipowo.cia
nmap         Poltcal Bndry,World,CIA  hipowo.cia
nsat         Poltcal Bndry,World,CIA  hipowo.cia
roads        US Roads                 lordus.nws
rivers       Rivers                   lorvwo.cia
hirivers     Hi-res US Rivers         hirvus.usg
state        State Highways           loshus.nws
ushwy        US Highways              louhus.nws
islands      Islands                  islands.cia
lakes        Lakes                    lakes.cia
nafos        Mix-res Pol Bndry,World  mxpowo.ncp
hiseas       High Seas Forecast Areas mehsuo.ncp
rseas        Regional Sea Fcst Areas  mereuo.ncp
offshore     Offshore Forecast Areas  hiosuo.nws
wbcmarine    Marine zones/Counties    himzcn.nws
offsh2       Offshore Forecast OPC    himouo.nws
sigwx        Significant AVN Areas    sigwx.ncp
nam          North America Fcst Bnds  mefbna.ncp
epacprod     East Pacific Products    mefbpe.ncp
npacprod     North Pacific Products   mefbpn.ncp
natlprod     North Atlantic Products  mefban.ncp
pacsfcpd     Pacific Surface Products mefbps.ncp
pacpart1     Pacific SFC Anal Part 1  mefbp1.ncp
pacpart2     Pacific SFC Anal Part 2  mefbp2.ncp
pacpart3     Pacific SFC Anal Part 3  mefbp3.ncp
atlpart1     Atlantic SFC Anal Part 1 mefba1.ncp
atlpart2     Atlantic SFC Anal Part 2 mefba2.ncp
atlpart3     Atlantic SFC Anal Part 3 mefba3.ncp
qpfver       QPF Verification         mefbqv.ncp
fir          Flight Information Regn  hifiwo.ncp
convsigmet   Convective Sigmet Bounds tpcsus.ncp
wregion      Western Region Bounds    tpfbwr.ncp
tpcsfc       TPC Surface Analysis     tptana.ncp
tpcsfcbnd    TPC Surface Boundary     tptbna.ncp
tpchsf       TPC High Seas            tpthna.ncp
tpcsig       TPC SigMets              tptsna.ncp
tpcavn       TPC Aviation             tptvna.ncp
dcvaac       DC VAAC Boundary         dcvaac.ncp
hpcsfc       HPC SFC Anl Boundary     hpcsfc.ncp
firezones    US Fire WX Zones, NWS    tpfzus.nws
timezone     US Time Zone, NWS        hitzus.nws
1000fthm     1000 Fathom Line         hikfwa.ncp
!
! Unidata additions
rdis         Interstates              rdis.uni
rdus         US Highways              rdus.uni
rdsh         State Highways           rdsh.uni
rdar         Arterial Roads           rdar.uni
hirdlo       Local Streets            hirdlo.uni
hicnuni      AWIPS counties           hicnus.uni
histuni      AWIPS states             states.uni
hirdny       NYC streets              hirdny.uni
hicnny       NYC counties             hicnny.uni
tpnynj       NYC area counties        tpnynj.uni
brazil       Brazillian States        histbr.uni
! MAPOVL.NMAP
!
! This table specifies the map overlays and their default attributes
! that appear in the "Map Selection" GUI in NMAP/NMAP2.  It also controls
! which overlays get turned on by default when NMAP/NMAP2 is invoked.  The
! first two entries in this table specify the map and lat/lon default
! attributes.  They correspond to the two buttons that appear at the top of
! the "Map Selection" GUI.  These two entries should NOT be removed.  The rest
! of the entries in this table are listed on the right side of the
! "Map Selection" GUI in the order they appear in this table.  Other valid
! overlays may be substituted for them.
!
! Map overlays may be either map backgrounds specified by using the GEMPAK map
! alias name, or station markers specified using the GEMPAK station file name.
! GEMPAK map aliases are defined in the table:  $GEMTBL/config/mapfil.tbl.  Any
! standard GEMPAK station file can be used as a marker overlay.  GEMPAK station
! files are found in $GEMTBL/stns.
!
! The format for the file is given below. Note that spaces are NOT allowed in
! in  the 'NAME' or 'MAP/STATION' strings.
!
! NAME              --  Overlay name that appears in the "Map Selecton" GUI
! TYPE              --  Overlay type: 0 = lat/lon, 1 = map file, 2 = station
!                                     marker plot, 5 = distance scale legend
! MAP/STATION NAME  --  GEMPAK map file or station plot file name
! ON/OFF            --  On/Off overlay flag: 1 = on, 0 = off
! COLOR             --  Default line, marker, or legend color, GEMPAK colors
(1-32)
! LSTYLE            --  Default map/lat/lon line style (1 - 10),
!                       see $GEMHLP/hlx/line.hl2 for definitions
! LWIDTH            --  Default map/lat/lon line width ( > 0 )
! MTYPE             --  Default marker type (1-22), see $GEMHLP/marker.hl2
!                       for definitions
! MSIZE             --  Default marker size ( > 0 )
! MSTATE            --  Default marker state ( 0 = marker only, 1 = marker +
text
!                                              2 = text only )
! TSIZE             --  Default marker text size ( 0="Tiny", 1="Small",
!                                                  2="Medium", 3="Large",
!                                                  4="Huge", 5="Giant"  )
!                       Strings are defined in $GEMTBL/config/fontsz.tbl
! UNIT               -- Default units for scale legend ( 0 = Statute miles,
!                                                        1 = Nautical miles,
!                                                        2 = Kilometers
! POS               --  Default position for distance scale legend
!                       (0 = Upper Left, 1 = Upper Center, 2 = Upper Right
!                        3 = Lower Left, 4 = Lower Center, 5 = Lower Right )
! CENLAT            --  Center latitude for distance scale legend
!                       for auto mode set LAT to RMISSD; i.e., -9999.0
! VALUES            --  Values for distance scale legend
!                       see $GEMHLP/hlx/mscale.hl2 for options and syntax
!                       for auto mode set VALUE to AUTO
! LTLNDEG           --  Default lat/lon line degree increment
! LBLFRQ            --  Default lat/lon line label frequency
!
!!
! Log:
! C. Lin/EAI             7/97   Originated
! C. Lin/EAI             8/97   Add centroid
! S. Wang/GSC            9/97   add marker attribute
! S. Schotz/NCEP        10/97   turned text off for centroids
! G. Krueger/EAI        10/97   Added Basic Weather 12/24hr & 36/48hr
! S. Schotz/NCEP        10/97   Added Watch Corner Points and VORs
! D.W.Plummer/NCEP      11/97   Change color and type for VORs and WCP
! W. Li/EAI             12/97   ON_OFF -> M_STATE, modified table
! G. Krueger/EAI        12/97   Added CWA bounds and WFO stations
! S. Jacobs/NCEP        12/97   Added Nexrad sites
! G. Krueger/EAI         1/98   Added county names
! S. Schotz/NCEP         2/98   Added RFC boundaries
! W. Li/EAI             06/98   Added TEXT_SIZE
! S. Schotz/NCEP         6/98   Added North American forecast boundary map
! G. Krueger/EAI        10/98   Added Basic Weather GIF boundary map
! G. Krueger/EAI        11/98   Added Medium Range forecast boundary map
! G. Krueger/EAI        12/98   Added Pacific Surface forecast boundary map
! G. Krueger/EAI         2/99   Changed color and line style of North_Amer.
! G. Grosshans/SPC       2/99   Added Marine_US
! S. Jacobs/NCEP         3/99   Added Daily Wx Map stations; Clean up
! G. Krueger/EAI         3/99   Replaced COUNTY_SORT.TBL with COUNTY.TBL
! B. McDonald/HPC        7/99   Added QPF verification domain
! T. Piper/GSC           8/99   Added Flight Information Region (FIR)
! E. Safford/GSC        11/99   Watch_Corner -> Anchor_Points
! M. Li/GSC             09/00   Added DEFAULT column
! S. Schotz/NCEP        11/00   Added Western Region QPF points
! M. LI/GSC             02/01   Added LTLNSTEP, LBLFREQ  and W_WIDTH
! D.W.Plummer/NCEP      03/01   Added county cluster table
! D.W.Plummer/NCEP      03/01   Added VAAC map overlay
! S. Schotz/NCEP        11/01   Updated Documentation
! R. Tian/SAIC           2/04   Added Time_Zone
! A. Hardy/NCEP          3/04   Added Marine_Cnty
! J. Morgan/OPC          8/04   Added 1000 Fathom Line
! H. Zeng/SAIC          08/04   Added Scale
!
!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!
!
!NAME           TYPE MAP/STATION NAME  ON/OFF COLOR  LSTYLE  LWIDTH    LTLNDEG
  LBLFREQ
!          (2) Marker                                MTYPE   MSIZE     MSTATE
  TSIZE      MWIDTH
!          (5) Legend                                UNIT    POS       FONT
  TSIZE      STYLE   CENLAT      VALUES
!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map             1    nmap                1      1      1      1
Lat/Lon         0    NONE                1     10      2      1        10
  1
Scale           5    NONE                0      1      0      0         0
  1          0       -9999.0     AUTO
County_Names    2    countynam.tbl       0     15      1      1         2
  2          1
County_Clust    2    cnty_clst.tbl       0      5      2      1         0
  2          1
County_Map      1    county              0     14      1      1
River           1    rivers              0     25      1      2
Lake            1    lakes               0     25      1      2
RFC_Boundaries  1    rfc                 0     30      1      2
Road            1    inter               0     18      1      2
WFO             2    wfo.tbl             0     20     14      1         1
  2          1
CWA             1    cwa                 0     16     18      2
Marine          1    rseas               0     23      1      2
1000_Fathom     1    1000fthm            0     22      1      3
BasicWx12_24    1    bwx1224             0      2      7      3
BasicWx36_48    1    bwx3648             0      3      9      3
North_Amer      1    nam                 0     11     19      3
BasicWx_GIF     1    bwxgif              0      4      9      3
Pacific_Surface 1    pacsfcpd            0     12      1      1
Medium_Range    1    medrange            0      5      9      3
QPF_Verif       1    qpfver              0     29      2      3
Sigwx           1    sigwx               0     24      1      3
Sigwx_stn       2    sigwx.tbl           0      1      1      1         1
  2         1
Sfc_stn         2    sfstns.tbl          0      2      1      1         1
  2         1
DWM_stn         2    dlwx.stn            0     31     15      2         1
  1         1
CPC_stn         2    cpcstns.tbl         0      8      1      1         1
  2         1
Anchor_Points   2    spcwatch.tbl        0      3     11      1         0
  2         1
VORs            2    vors.tbl            0      4      3      1         0
  2         1
NEXRAD          2    nexrad.tbl          0     31     12      1         1
  2         1
County_IDs      2    county.tbl          0      6      1      1         0
  2         1
Marine_US       1    offshore            0     23      1      2
Flight_Info     1    fir                 0      7      1      2
WR_QPF          2    wrqpf.tbl           0     15      1      1         2
  2         1
VAAC            1    dcvaac              0      2      1      2
  2
Time_Zone       1    timezone            0     14      1      1
Marine_Cnty     1    wbcmarine           0     22      1      2
!
! Unidata Additions
Interstates     1    rdis                0     15      1      2
US_Highways     1    rdus                0     22      1      2
State_Highways  1    rdsh                0     23      1      1
Arterial_roads  1    rdar                0     23      1      1
Local_streets   1    hirdlo              0     23      1      1
Brazil_States   1    brazil              0      8      1      1