20050329: LDM - Linux dcgrib2 & Weather program

Dana,

GEMPAK files are byte order dependent. Assuming that your Sun was a big
endian machine, your code will have to support byte flipping of the
GEMPAK data management file for files created on little endian PCs.

The gemlib routines of course handle that for you through the dm_ routines.
I dont know how you interfaced the routine to read the grid files though.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

>From: "Dana Price" <address@hidden>

>Institution: Rutgers University
>Package Version: 6.1.0
>Operating System: RedHat Enterprise linux
>Hardware Information: Dell PowerEdge 2850
>Inquiry: I know the 'weather' program is unsupported, so if anyone can point m
> e in a better direction (I tried weatherbud@unidata yesterday), I'd appreciat
> e it.
>
>We've been using the weather program to interpolate gempak gridded data into F
> OUS messages.  Until recently, ldm/gempak ran on a sun solaris 8 box here.  W
> e recently made the switch to redhat enterprise 3.0.  I kept the weather prog
> ram on the solaris box (since it was the only binary distro I could find back
>  then), and NFS mounted the grid data there from the linux machine, but weath
> er now segfaults.  I generated a few grid files on the sun box, tested them,
> and they work fine.. so it seems that those files generated with linux dcgrib
> 2 are causing the trouble.  Is a source / linux binary distro of weather stil
> l floating around the net anywhere?  I guess I could continue to generate the
>  grids on a Sun but I'd hate to have to keep the box up just for that purpose
> .  The pqact pattern I file the ETA data with is below.
>
>Thanks,
>Dana
>

>HRS     ^Y.Q... KWB. ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9]).*/m(ETA|NAM)
>       PIPE    /opt/gempak/bin/linux/dcgrib2
>       -d /home/ldm/logs/dcgrib.log.eta
>       -e GEMTBL=/usr/local/gempak/gempak/tables
>       /data/weather/gempak/data/YYMMDDHH.eta

>From address@hidden  Wed Mar 30 10:34:19 2005

Yeah, I figured that's the case.. which is why I'm looking around for
the source code to the 'weather' program so I can either compile it on
the linux box, or build it with a recent version of gemlib.  The binary
I have was, I thought, supposed to be byte-order independant.