20050324: Gempak - Obtaining SST data from eta-212 grids ???

Kevin,

Water Temperature in the ETA GRIB data is WTMPK.
You can find out all the grids you have in your data set with
GDINFO and using "restore defaults/gdinfo" at the gdinfo prompt
(which sets time, level coordinate and parameter to "all").
The difinitions of the GEMPAK parameter names are found in the
$GEMTBL/grid/wmogribX.tbl and ncepgribX.tbl files.

As a reference, you may find the NCEP inventory of grids within
the ETA 212 useful:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/nam/nam.t12z.awip3d12.tm00.shtml
I accessed this from:
http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/namgrids/
The parameter and coordinate name/definitions may be different than the GEMPAK
convention, but useful non the less. For example, #544 in the list
above shows that the model has the surface water temperature grid.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support