20050123: Downloading and Unzipping Problem

>From: Ryan Jewell <address@hidden>

Ryan,

>Hello.  I have been trying to download Gempak binary
>5.7.4, but the download always freezes after a while.
>My friend had a similar problem.  Why can't I finish
>downloading this file?

I downloaded the latest GEMPAK distribution to a machine not
in the Unidata network domain, and had no problems.  Can you tell
me what kind of machine (operating system) and web browser you
are using for your download?  Also, is it possible that you have
an intermittant network problem?

>Also, I do have this file on CD, but when I try to
>gunzip it like the installation guide says, it only
>unzips a few files, then says
>
>"tar: Skipping to next header"
>"Unexpected end of file"
>
>I thought maybe the reason I cannot gunzip is because
>it was burnt on a CD, but that sounds odd.

This sounds like the CD image was damaged.  Can you tell me
where/when you got this CD?  I have cut three different ones
with Unidata software and given them out at various workshops
and conferences.  It is possible that the one you got is damaged
somehow.

>Any help will be highly appreciated.  Thanks,

Given the failure extracting the GEMPAK distribution from the CD,
I think we should concentrate on finding the problem you are
having downloading off of the web.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Fri Feb  4 07:25:43 2005

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the file at work, burnt it to a cd, and
it worked.

However, my friend and I could not download the file
(always freezes) at home.  I tried downloading it in
windows XP and also in LINUX...both ways failed to
finish.  Maybe there is something wrong with sbc.
Anyway, I have the file and it's installed so problem
solved.

Ryan