20050118: borked precip

>From: "Patrick L. Francis" <address@hidden>

>using the following script
>(also may login located /home/ldm/util/models/gfs/precip)
>
>any idea why i'm getting borked (overly high) precip values?
>i did take CINT way high simply because the values were there.

Patrick,

I don't see that you set "SCALE" anywhere in your script.
If you are setting specific contour values, you should
set SCALE to the appropriate value (eg SCALE=0). Yur script
should set all values for the program, either within your
redirection, or from restore of a .nts file.

Otherwise, if you aren't setting it, then SCALE will be whatever is found
in the .nts file, and if its 999 (or blank), then the values will be scaled
by data range, which would not be necessarily 10**0).

I'd also explicitly set CONTUR and CURVE settings to make the contours smoother.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support