20041210: Behaviour of gempak 5.7.4 model path name matching

Art,

Garp will try to match the "model_key"  against the
1st column of the datatype.tbl file (eg the file type).
If no match is found there, it will then look for the string
in file names within the $(grids) directory. The datatype.tbl
matching is the filetype alias in its entirety, so a model
key of eta218 would match ETA218 in datatype.tbl,
but a modelkey of _eta218.gem would not match ETA218 in datatype.tbl.

When using the model key "eta218", it will match the entry
in datatype.tbl, but if the datatype.tbl didn't
have that as an entry, it would look for the string "eta218"
within the $(grid) directory which should be $GEMDATA/model.
That substring matching is what is problematic for Garp
in a number of instances.

Note however, Garp only supports 1 $(grid) directory, whereas
datatype.tbl allows a different directory for each file type.
Also, by using the filetype alias, Garp will now support files
which use the FFF template, where this would create problems
for the string matching that Garp does by default since it would
consider multiple files as having the same time in them. That is,
if you are going to use the modelkeys as previous, you would have to
keep all your grids in the same directory and not use the FFF template
in file names.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support