20041201: GEMPAK trouble with non-standard domain

Brian,

The dcgrib decoder is depricated in favor of dcgrib2,
so I'll suggest you use that.

Also, it would help to look at the gdinfo output for
the grid navigation and projection used in the GEMPAK file
which is created by the decoder. It sounds as if the navigation in the
file is not as expected, or doesn't match the PROJ and GAREA you provided
for GDCNTR. Note that you can use PROJ=def and GAREA=grid.

In general, if the GDS block of the grib provides the navigation,
then that is used instead of any found in $GEMTBL/grid/grdnav.tbl.
Dcgrib2 should have no trouble with this in any regard.

One possibility of confusion for dcgrib (not dcgrib2) would be if the
grid was displaced, but it still used the grid #252 projection number
in the grib PDS block.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support