20040905: GEMPAK Extraction Error

>From: <address@hidden>

Matthew,

>My name is Matthew Dux and I am a Meteorology student at St. Cloud State
>University.  The reason that I am writing is because I am having and
>issue with the installation of GEMPAK 5.7 and/or 5.6.  I am able to
>download the software package to my linux box (Fedora Core 2), however
>my problems begin when I begin extraction.  Nearing the end of the
>extraction process, an error pops up saying that it cannot find some
>archive files (about 15-20).  It then stops the extraction and I cannot
>continue.  My installation partner and myself have tried both versions
>and had problems with both.  We are concerned that there could be an
>issue with Fedora Core 2 and GEMPAK.20

We have seen problems downloading any of the packages we support from
our web site when using two out of three web browsers bundled with
Fedora Core Linux.  The browser that I use that does not have the
download problem is Konqueror (sp?).  Please try it instead of Mozilla
(and the other one that I don't remember the name of right now) and see
if you don't get a complete download that unpacks correctly.

>Please advise us as to any solutions or problems you may have
>experienced which are similar to what we have been finding.  Thank you
>for your time and effort.

To see that the file you downloaded is _not_ complete, please compare
its size with the size listed on the my.unidata 'downloads' page.

>Matthew Dux
>Computer Store Assistant
>St. Cloud State University Computer Store
>720 4th Ave. S MC-B42

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas