20040810: GEMPAK upgrade

Patrick,

I can assist you.

You will need to prepare the following if you haven't already:

- Create a "gempak" user account, typically under /home/gempak.
  If possible, the LDM user account and gempak user account should
  have the same group id just to make maintenance easier in the long run.

- Download the binary tar file (if one exists for your OS), or
the source code tarfile otherwise (ensure you have the appropriate
C, Fortran and Motif environments if building). Place in the ~gempak
directory and unpack from there with:
gunzip -c "downloaded_tar_file.tar.gz" | tar xvf -

- Under your LDM account, create a "decoders" directory
if it doesn't already exist and give it group writable permissions
if the GEMPAK user is in the same user group as the LDM (see the
first action above). EG as the LDM user, "chmod 775 ~ldm/decoders".

If you can get that far, and send me a temporary login for
GEMPAK (so I can edit the Gemenviron file) and LDM (so I can
ass the GEMPAK pqact actions in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf),
I'll log in and look at your setup and generate the pqact files
from $NAWIPS/ldm/etc/gen_pqact.csh. ssh would be preferred for
logging in (let me know if you want a public key from my end).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support.