20040723: running scripts (gpnexr2) from pqact?

>From: Gerry Creager n5jxs <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry.

Tom here...

>I'm trying to run a Level II gpnexr2 script fired by pqact.  I'm
>attaching the pqact config file we are  calling in ldmd.conf.  As you
>can see, it invokes a series of scripts, triggered, *I think* by the
>completion of the particular Level II volume scan data.

Yes, your pqact.conf actions will be run upon the receipt of the last
piece of the volume scan from the radars.  By the way, you could
probably simplify your setup by passing the ID of the NEXRAD to
a more general script that uses the passed in parameter.

What I have in mind is changing:

CRAFT
^L2-BZIP2/KABX/([0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-1][0-9][0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9][0-5][0-9])([0-9][0-9]).*/E$
        EXEC    scripts/KABX.sh

to:

CRAFT
^L2-BZIP2/(....)/([0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-1][0-9][0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9][0-5][0-9])([0-9][0-9]).*/E$
        EXEC    scripts/nexrad2.sh \1

>It's not working.  Well, more precisely, the scripts are getting called
>but the gpend isn't working.  I'm at a bit of a loss as to why.  Could
>you suggest where I'm going wrong?

You didn't include the contents of the script you are running, and that,
presumably, is where the gpend should be run.

>As you can probably deduce, the idea
>is to snag the data for Texas-area radars and create Level II imagery.
>After I get the scripts down for dz, vr, sw at 0.5 degrees tilt, I'll
>expand the selections to include other tilts.  We are archiving some 24
>(2 hrs) sets of data, and I'm going to be expanding that so that I've
>got the ability to animate with 5-min intervals for 1 hr, 10 min
>intervals for 2-4 hours, 15 minute intervals for 5-12 hours, and 30 min
>intervals for 12-48 hours.  But that implies I get the basic scripts to
>play first.

OK.

>Anything you can suggest would be helpful.

Looking at your scripts/KABX.sh on gemdata2, it seems that the problem
is that each script is running from the same directory.  This results
in the same message queue being used for all invocatations running at
the same time, and, according to Chiz, this is most likely your problem.

There are two solutions to your problem:

- rewrite the script(s) to work from different directories.  This could
  be done by creating a temporary directory at the start of the script
  and removing it at the end.

- use gpnexr2_gf instead of gpnexr2.  Since the GIF (tm) driver is linked
  into gpnexr2_gf, no message queue is needed or created

>From address@hidden  Fri Jul 23 16:37:32 2004

Tom,

Thanks.  I'll look at generalizing the script.  That'll be pretty easy.

I'll also revise the scripts to use gpnexr2_gf, which, to be honest, I
wasn't familiar with.

The source of the problem in memory extinction was improper placement of
the script 'exit' commmand.  My grad student, Rich Otto, caught that and
slapped my hand for getting dumb.

Again, thanks!
gerry