20040506: compatible linux system for gempak/nawips

>From: address@hidden

>Two questions:
>
>1) Is the Linux system "Suse" version 9 compatible with Gempak/NAWIPS? I'm
>on a BLM network, and "Suse" is the only approved platform.

Its always best to use whatever OS you can get local support for. Sounds like
you have some in house expertise with SUSE.

linux is generally Kernel compatible, so that you would be able to run
binaries which I compile under Fedors/RedHat, or you could build
on your own machine.

>2) Is is possible to setup Gempak to automatically (whenever a new model
>run comes in) produce and transmit Windows compatible weather graphics
>(jpeg, gif, etc.?) to another disk drive or network location?

Yes, a large number of sites use GEMPAK to produce graphics for their
web sites in such a manner. Drivers are available for Gif, PNG, PS, TIFF,
and a few other formats in addition to the X Window device.

A good starting point for learning about GEMPAK is the tutorial at:
my.unidata.ucar.edu://content/software/gempak/tutorial

Steve CHiswell

>Thanks,
>Russ Mann
>Fire Weather Meteorologist (Nat Park Svc)
>Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center
>Lakewood, CO
>303-445-4308
>address@hidden