20040413: Vietnam and GEMPAK GRIB decoding (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Mai,

I wanted to send you a quick note before heading home for the night...

- Relatively early today, I became unable to get to met_research3.
  This has delayed getting the conversion script I have written
  uploaded there.

- I need to know if the latitudes and longitudes in your station file
  are in degrees and fractional degrees or degrees and minutes

- the example synoptic files of yours that I have been playing with
  have a number of problems in them.  I have been fighting with
  my Tcl script to extract as much of the good data as possible.
  For reference, after seeing that the file had problems, I tried
  running the procedures that I had sent to you to see what the
  output looks like.  Since the procedures did simple reformatting,
  they were not able to cope with the problems I found in your files.
  The Tcl script does a much better job than the step by step
  procedures.

- your data files seem to have station ID numbers in the 50000 range
  (e.g., 59046, etc.), and 98000 range (e.g., 98446, etc.).  Is
  this correct?

I have to head home now.  More tomorrow.