20040405: 20040405: Vietnam and GEMPAK GRIB decoding (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Hi Mai,

>It's great. NAWIPS is working beautifully today. Thank
>you very much. I didn't expect it to perform that
>nicely!!!

I am glad to hear that things are working well!

>I am too happy today to play with it. But I still know
>that few things to be done.

One of the first things that needs to be done as 'root'
is setup startup of the LDM upon reboot of your machine.

I FTPed a script that is used to start the LDM at reboot
on a Linux machine, and put it in the /home/ldm directory.
You need to do the following as 'root' to install it:

1) move ~ldm/ldmd to /etc/init.d

<as 'root'>
mv /home/ldm/ldmd /etc/init.d

2) change the execute permissions on the copy in init.d:

cd /etc/init.d
chmod 755 ldmd

3) use the 'chkconfig' utility to add links to the script
   at the appropriate run levels:

chkconfig --add

The 'ldmd' script checks to see if an LDM queue exists. If it doesn't,
a new one is created.  If it does exist, its integrity is checked
before starting the LDM.  If the queue has been damaged, then it is
deleted and an new one is created.  After a new queue has been created,
or after an existing queue has passed a integrity check, the LDM is
started as the user 'ldm' (as it should always be).

>Is it possible for me to get GOES-9 images as well? I
>remember that you said that you have to ask someone else.

I am not sure that I will be able to find a realtime source of
GOES-9 data, but I will try.

>How about your "pumping" data to Antartica. Is it
>working too?

I have not yet started on that project, but it is coming up.
Today I give a presentation on the creation of a data distribution
network in Brazil.  This effort, known as the IDD-Brazil, is
part of a larger effort that the Unidata and COMET programs of
UCAR are involved in known as MeteoForum.

>Bye for now. I have a short day today.

Hopefully, I will have time to check out the GRIB files that
you noted in a previous email later today.

>Thank you again, Mai.

No worries.