20040405: Vietnam and GEMPAK GRIB decoding (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Hi Mai,

>Here is what i've done today.
>
>1) Created gempak account

OK.  I verified that I could logon using the password you sent.
One thing I saw, however, was that you must have added gempak to
the 'staff' group after creating the account.  I changed the
ownership of everything under /home/gempak to be 'gempak:staff'.
I also changed the permission on /home/gempak to be 775.  This
allows 'ldm' to see/write in /home/gempak.

>2) Unzip and installed Gempak5.7.1 followed the website at
>http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/GEMPAK5.7/Install_GEMPAK5.7
>.html

Good.  The README file in the distribution is out of date;
the online info is not.

>On that page, I went to RUNTIME CONFIGURATION. Step2
>is a bit confusing.
>
> + Changed a bit in Gemenviron ($GEMDATA to point to
>   my nadata directory)

OK.  You had defined GEMDATA as /nadata.  What you really needed
to do was to define GEMDATA as /home/nadata/ldm/gempak.

The convention in setting up the LDM is to make a link from the
physical location of data -- /home/nadata/ldm in your case -- to the
~ldm/data directory.  I made this for you this morning.  The GEMPAK
pqact.conf (pqact.gempak) then create output in ~ldm/data/gempak/.
I also defined LDMDATA to be /home/nadata/ldm in Gemenviron.

> + put "source Gemenviron" in .cshrc of user gempak

Good.

> + Ran $NAWIPS/ldm/etc/gen_pqact.csh

OK.  I reran this since I changed ~gempak/NAWIPS/Gemeniron.

> + As indicated by gen_pqact, I've copy the generated
>pqact.gempak to /home/ldm/etc.

OK. I redid this since I changed ~gempak/NAWIPS/Gemeniron.

> + Added the following line to ldmd.conf
>   exec  "pqact etc/pqact.gempak"
>
>Now, I guess I have to add my pqact.gempak to
>pqact.conf. Is that correct?

Yes.  I did that for you.

>I've noticed also that there is another ldm directory
>inside my GEMPAK5.7.l
>How should I do with that?

Nothing.  That contains the template for the gen_pqact.csh
script and the script itself.  It is part of the GEMPAK
distribution.

>My eventual goal is to make ldm to put data to my
>/home/nadata directory, decoded and then can be able
>to see by NAWIPS.

It will be put under /home/nadata/ldm/gempak.

>Please advise me what I should do next.

I need to head off for work now.  I will look at the setup again
in an hour or so.

There are still some more things to be done.  I will advise.

>Bye for now and hope to get your help in the morning.

OK.

>Thanks, Mai.
>P.S. The gribtable issue is still in my mind!

Yes, I havn't forgotten either.