20031126: SKIP and GDCNTR

Greg,

comments interspersed below:

>From: Greg Quina <address@hidden>

>Hello,
>         I have grib files that are projected on the 12 km Arakawa-E
>grid.  The actual dimensions of our grid are 606x1067 on a similar grid to
>that of the original ETA grid 96 in the grdnav.tbl, and there is data for
>every point on this 606x1067 grid.  The Data Representation Type is 203.  I
>have been using the NAGRIB routine to decode the data to gempak grid files.
>
>Nagrib seems to work fine (using gdlist to verify the data) when
>transforming the data to the staggered grid on the following projection:
>!ID     #  PRJ  A1  A2 A3  LLT      LLN      ULT     ULN   KX    KY DELN  X
>ET12 96 CED 50 -111 0 -3.441 -148.799 50.026 -3.230 1211 1067 0.5     0
>However, I can not get the skip command to work, except by skipping both
>row and column (i.e., skip = 1 works fine).  Skip_plot_x nor skip_plot_y
>will allow me to skip wind points.  No matter what I use for skip_plot_x or
>skip_plot_y (for example, skip = /1;-1), I get the same result.  I am not
>sure why this feature will not work.
>
>I have commented out the portion of the code that staggers the data if data
>type is 203 and re-compiled to get a 606x1067 GEMPAK grid on the following
>projection:
>!ID     #   PRJ  A1  A2 A3   LLT      LLN      ULT     ULN   KX    KY DELN   X
>ET12 96 CED  50 -111 0  -3.441 -148.799 50.026 -3.230  606 1067  1.0     0
>This non-staggered data (to avoid skip) is plotted well, but I am not sure
>if the lat/lon plotted coordinates here would match that of the mass points
>on the staggered grid.

GEMPAK can only work with rectangular grids, eg all data has to exist at
each grid point for calculations, so you would want the 1211x1057 grid.
The staggered grid has to be interpolated so that U,V will be at the same grid
points as H,T,RH, etc. In the E-grid, the u,v will be offset. The interpolation
in nagrib will interpolate all quantities to each point.

The number of grid points allowed by default in calculations is
set to 400,000 for LLMXGD in MCHPRM.xxxx and gemprm.h. The Maximum storage
of a grid is set to 750,000 for LLMXTG in MCHPRM.xxxxx. So, your
1211x1067 grid is too big for the defaults in the distribution.

If you have compiled the distribution locally, you need LLMXTG to
be large enough to store your 1211x1067 grid.
On calculations in gdcntr, gdplot2, etc, you can use IJSKIP to
load a subset of the data (either aerial or subsampled) for
calculations. The 400,000 points would be the default, but you could increase
that as well. The IJSKIP allows you to use a subset of points in the
larger data file, whereas the SKIP parameter in plotting is just to
alternate the plotting of the values after calculations. If your
data file has exceeded the number of grid points compiled into the arrays, that
may have caused your problem with SKIP= /1;-1.

>In addition, I am trying to plot vegetation type, soil type, and land/sea
>masks gridded data sets.  When I use gdcntr I continuously get an
>interpolated data set.  That would be fine for most of my fields, except
>for the above because they consist of integer class values and should not
>be interpolated.  I want to fill the entire grid box with its value,
>instead of doing any interpolation from grid box to grid box.  I thought
>that setting contur = 0 (or 0/0 or blank) would achieve this, but
>interpolation between grid values still exists when mapped by gdcntr.

I provided a TYPE of "Z" in gdplot2 for just filling in a grid box rather than
contouring which would interpolate between your values. This essentially
makes the output an image rather than a contour plot.

Steve Chiswell