20031023: A question about GEMPAK

Ellen,

If you can handle CGM files, then that is an available vector
representation (aside from postscript too). Here is an
email link where I provided a program to strip out the header of
a GEMPAK NC driver CGM file and create separate CGM files
for each plot in the NMeta file. CGM is a common vector file standard.
The RALCGM (Rutherford Appleton Laboratories) package is used by many
to convert between formats as well.

See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/msgout?/glimpse/gempak/5331

We have several people here that have worked on converting GRIB
to NetCDF to shape files. I will CC Jeff Weber in case you
want to explore that route....though sounds like you have
done some of that already on your own.

I will be teaching the GEMPAK training workshop through Wednesday afternoon,
so if you still have questions, I'll get to them as I am able.,

Steve Chiswell