20031017: Gempak - IRIX64 - GDTSER and superimpose multiple model time series

Christian,

The way to sumperimpoise multiple GDTSER plots is to fix the
horizontal and vertical scales of the plot with TAXIS and YAXIS.

For example, I have 2 data sets, ETA which is a 60 hour run starting at 19/1200,
and ETA212 which is a 48 hour run starting at 19/1800.

So, these data sets have different initial times, different grids, and
different output intervals (6 hourly for the ETA on grid 211, and 3 hourly on
ETA
on grid 212).

In these cases, I can use GDATTIM=all, since the data is available at all
forecast hours in
either grid:
 GPOINT   = den
 GDATTIM  = all
 GLEVEL   = 850
 GVCORD   = pres
 GFUNC    = tmpc
 GDFILE   = eta
 PTYPE    = lin
 TAXIS    = 19/12-22/00-3
 YAXIS    = 5/35
 BORDER   = 3
 LINE     = 2
 MARKER   = 5
 TITLE    = 6
 CLEAR    = n
 SCALE    = 0
 PANEL    = 0
 DEVICE   = xw
 TEXT     = 1/1/1/sw
 GEMPAK-GDTSER>

 GDFILE   = eta212
 TAXIS    = 19/12-22/00-3
 YAXIS    = 5/35
 GEMPAK-GDTSER>

In this case, you really do have to have some idea on the data range of your
output values
to fix the YAXIS, and you neex to know the time interval for your TAXIS, so
tyhat the range will
be the same, even though the model times are different.

Where you have more difficulty is when data is missing at certain forecast
hours within a grid.
In those cases, you have to use GDATTIM to specify the forecast hours to be
plotted,
and you would have to do that independently for each data set.

Steve Chiswell