20030919: 20030918: GEMPAK and pseudo-color on Linux

David,

I don't have any experience with PC graphics cards in this manner.
The gembud list may be a place to see  if anyone else has such
a configuration.

I have run xnest for creating an 8 bit desktop in a 24 bit display.
The XFree86 server at last dcheck does not allow multiple visuals,
so even though you can have both 8 bit at 24 bit color, they
both are true color. Note that this is a limitation of XFree86,
and not xnest (which works fine on more advanced X servers that
support multiple visuals).

In the case of GEMPAK, it will use t he default visual of the system, there is
no way to configure it to use a different visual ID.

Steve Chiswell