20030613: Grid definition? query in GEMPAK

John,

Your problem lies in your syntax. To produce the magnitude
of the wind as you wrote:
sqrt(avn_urel**2+avn_vrel**2)

The GEMPAK syntax would be:
sqrt(sum(mul(avn_urel,avn_urel),mul(avn_vrel,avn_vrel)))

Luckily, this is more easily done by taking the magnitude
of the constituted vector from avn_urel and avn_vrel:

mag(vecr(avn_urel,avn_vrel))

Steve Chiswell