20030522: Plotting Convective Outlooks

Kevin,

The convective outlook products are distributed in redbook graphics format.
See for examples of redbook graphics:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/examples/redbook/listgifs.php
The Day 1 convective outlook is 94O.

You could FILE the product "PGWE46 KWNS" from your HDS feed
and use the GPMAP program to plot the file by specifying in the
AWPSFL parameter.

Or, you could pipe the product to dcredbook to create a vgf file for
use in NMAP. Typically I pipe the redbook graphics to a script which
runs dcredbook_vg like:

HRS     ^P..... (K[^WK]|KW[^A]|KWA[^L]|KK[^C]|KKC[^I])
        PIPE    -close  util/dcredbook_vg.csh

And then the script dcredbook_vg.csh is:

#
# Filename: dcredbook_vg.csh
#
# This scripts may be used as a pqact.conf action to automatically
# generate VG (vector graphics) from REDBOOK graphics found on NOAAPORT.
#
# pqact.conf usage:
#
# send all NOAAPORT graphic products (except those from KWAL) to this script
#HRS     ^P..... (K[^W]|KW[^A]|KWA[^L])
#       PIPE    -close  util/dcredbook_vg.csh
#
#
# source the GEMPAK environment so that table, mapfiles etc. are found
#
source /home/gempak/NAWIPS/Gemenviron

# Set a work directory and change directory to it
setenv OUTDIR $GEMDATA/images/vg
cd $OUTDIR

cat | dcredbook_vg -v 1 -d $GEMDATA/logs/dcredbook_vg.log
'vg|%P/YYYYMMDD_HHNN.vgf'
exit 0

The nwx code for plotting qpf text bulletins and solar radiation products is
specific to that program.

The sigmets decoded by the respective decoders can be plotted from
gpmap, or nmap. See the $NAWIPS/ldm/etc directory for decoder actions for
pqact.conf

Steve Chiswell