20030128: Gempak - Unix - WCMP and WNML Problems

>From: "Jason Shafer" <address@hidden>

>Institution: University of Utah /
>Package Version: 5.4 and 5.6d
>Operating System: Unix
>Hardware Information: Sun ?
>Inquiry: Hi,
>
>   In sncross, both with versions 5.4 and 5.6d, I am not able to compute the s
> nparms wcmp and wnml. To my best knowlegde, my notation is correction, (e.g.
> snparm = wcmp$162 - for the wind component towards 162 degrees), but all I'm
> getting is the uwnd and vwnd for wcmp and wnml, respectively. It does not mat
> ter what I put in the angle! Thanks for your time.
>
>                               Sincerely,
>                                 -Jay

Jay,

Using the current distribution of 5.6.h,
I ran the following for today's 12Z upperair in sncross:

 CXSTNS   = dnr;ddc;lzk;bna;gso
 SNPARM   = wcmp$180
 SNFILE   = uair
 DATTIM   = 1200
 VCOORD   = pres
 PTYPE    = log
 YAXIS    = 1020/100//1;1;0
 TAXIS    = R--3;2;2;1
 LINE     = 4
 BORDER   = 3/1/1
 CINT     =
 WIND     = bm6
 TITLE    = 0
 PANEL    = 0
 DEVICE   = xw
 CLEAR    = y
 FILTER   = yes
 TEXT     = 1/1/1/sw
 CURVE    =
 CLRBAR   =
 CONTUR   = 21
 FINT     = .01;2
 FLINE    =
 CTYPE    =

and

SNPARM = wnml$90.

Both appear to be correct for the plotted contours.

In particular, I'm looking at nearly east to west wind barbs over DDC at
250 mb (barbs of U and V show 40 knots), while the contoured values of SNPARM
are close to 0.

Are you referring to the contours not changing with the $xxx angle, or the
the wind barbs? The vectors plotted always represent DRCT and SPED (SKNT)
as defined in $GEMPAK/source/programs/sn/sncross/snswwe.f.

Steve Chiswell