20021220: GEMPAK scripting troubles

>From: "Reilly, Jim - PGPW-5" <address@hidden>

>I seem to have solved it, in part to the 'file core' result as shown below --
>core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file of 'gf' (signal 11), Intel 80386, version 1
>I switched to the device=gif instead of =gf, and the system terminated fine.
> It should be noted that I'm running this setup from Windows 2000 via Exceed s
> oftware, so perhaps that is part of the problem!  Thanks for letting me cry o
> n your shoulder, I won't lose your e-mail address...
>
>Jim Reilly
>Bonneville Power Administration PGPW-5
>503-230-5634

Jim,
When you switched to the gif device from gf, you are eliminating the dependency
of the gif output on the X server. I added 24 bit support in the GEMPAK
5.6.h distribution, so if you are running a version earlier
than that, you would have trouble with the 24 bit color if the software
running on your windows box didn't provide the requested colors.

Other things to check:

Your script didn't specify a DISPLAY setting. If you are running the
script from your own login, it should inherit that from your environment.
But, if you were to run from a cron, you'd probably have to set that
explicitly.

If you do have more than one distribution on your system, make sure that
the "gf" if from the correwct version. Eg, make sure your $GEMEXE is
correctly set in your script.

Lastly, make sure you don't have any other programs or directories in your
search path named "gf" that could be confused with that in $GEMEXE.

Since you said you received some output, I was assuming that you were
able to contact the X server, and were able to get the necessary colors
and make the X server connection.

Steve Chiswell