20021204: some GARP/NMAP2 questions

Robert,

As you know, the GINI image format from NESDIS does not contain
a calibration block. In creating the nexrad composites, I added
a form of calibration block (using some reserved bits) which
does allow for relating the raw values to calibrated values
in the image bar. So, it is possible to use that information in a
pointer retrieval, but it will by nature not be generalizeable to
other GINI images from NOAAport until there is a standard way for
providing that calibration block. In particular, there are
SOUNDER products in the Super-National products on NOAAport,
but without a calibration block, you would have to hardcode in specific
values or relationships for products which would be a bad system.

In NMAP, when you select the Image data set, you can then go to
the map icon and select the region without having to
first display the area and then zoom in.

I do not know what NCEP's schedule of development for NMAP2 is,
but it seems reasonable to implement BND in the map selection
area as well.

Steve Chiswell