20021104: point NMAP/NMAP2 to my data

David,

All the GEMPAK programs and GUIS (NMAP/NMAP2) use the
$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl file (see the template file description
in the tutorial). The datatype.tbl file entries use the $MODEL environmental
variable.

Historically, Garp uses its own template scheme, and the $HDS environmental
variable is used in the Garp_defaults.tbl.

Typically, the Gemenviron file I send out sets:
   setenv HDS           $GEMDATA/hds
   setenv MODEL         $GEMDATA/model

for realtime data, I assume $GEMDATA/hds is a link to $GEMDATA/model
(or vice versa). Or they could both point to $GEMDATA/hds.

Basically, you can set $MODEL to the same thing as $HDS...but
Garp expects all the files in the directory to conform to its
idea of a file name template (Garp developed at COMET), and
all the grid data is in the same directory.

The rest of GEMPAK allows you to set GDFILE to any template which
is looked up in $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl. Theoretically,
this could be different directories for every model, and different
template schemes for every model (for example, some models could have each
forecast hour in its own file using the FFF template). So, I kept the
environmental variables distinct in case the user wanted to use that
feature. Eg, I wanted to guaranteee Garp that all grid files would be in the
$HDS directory, but $MODEL could be used to point to a tree of directories
with a common root.

In NMAP, when you click on "grid" for data type, it searches the
$GEMTBL/nmap/mod_res.tbl file for all grid file aliases and
presents these as the choices for data sets. Once you have picked
one, such as eta104, it looks that alias up in the $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl
file for the template which is used for the GDFILE parameter.

By default GDFILE=eta104 would return the latest eta104 file. Using
GDFILE=eta104|021104/0000 for example would use that specific run.

Steve Chiswell