20021009: Question about eta model data in Unidata stream

>From: Robert Fovell <address@hidden>

>Hi:
>
>We are currently receiving the HRS on Idd (using LDM), all from
>Unidata.  In that stream are some data from NCEP's Eta model runs on
>the 212 grid in GRIB format.  However, at least for the files we have
>identified, the data are incomplete and cannot apparently be used to
>initialize and run the MM5 mesoscale model.
>
>So, instead we are fetching AWIP3D/212 grid GRIB datasets from the
>NCEP server.  Are these data available through the HRS feed, and
>we're not recognizing it?  Or do we have to go to a different feed,
>like Conduit?
>
>Thanks much,
>Rob
>

>--
>Robert G. Fovell, Assoc. Prof., UCLA Atmospheric Sciences
>Los Angeles, CA 90095-1565
>E-mail: address@hidden; Office: (310) 206-9956; Fax: (310) 206-5219
>Science home page:          http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~fovell/
>Night-blooming cereus page: http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~rfovell/cereus.html

Robert,

The data that NWS provides over NOAAPORT, which is the source of the IDD,
is a a subset of the ETA212 grids that are available via the FTP
servers (parameters, levels and forcast times).

Depending on what levels/parameters you are looking for, your
alternative is either FTP or the grids via CONDUIT.

Steve Chiswell