20021009: area average

>From: "J. Correia" <address@hidden>

>Lets say I want to use a global grid, and perform an area average over a
>subset of that grid. What i want to plot is the average over a longitude
>band, and plot that over time and by latitude. Can GDTSER do this?
>I saw GPOINT but it doesnt say how to specify an area or if you can
>specify an area. is there a way to do this, or would it be better to try
>it using GDDIAG?
>Thanks!
>jimmyc

Jimmy,

See the "phelp gparm" (or chapter 3 in the user guide).

XAV(S) allows you to get the average along a grid row. If your grid
is CED, then a grid row would be a longitude band.

In gdcross for example:

 CXSTNS   = -89.9;-180>89.9;-180
 GDATTIM  = f000
 GVCORD   = pres
 GFUNC    = xav(tmpk)

Or in gdthgt, you can plot the time series at a location for a particular
level:
 GPOINT   = den
 GDATTIM  = fall
 GLEVEL   = 500