20020926: Solaris using gcc build errors

Patrick,

You have to have a suitable development environment for creating library
archives. Your build is failing by not finding "ar" in your path.

The Solaris development tools, including "ar", "make" and "ranlib" are
all in /usr/ccs/bin (as described in the installation document). These
are the tools I built the distribution under here. If you have these
programs, place the /usr/ccs/bin directory in your path before your
gnu executable directory.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support