20020820: CYGWIN and GEMPAK?

>From: "Arthur Taylor" <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to get CYGWIN and Gempack to work together...
>
>Actually what I want to do is have Gempack run on an HP system, and
>display to a cygwin machine running XWin.exe.  So I'm not trying to port
>
>everything, just trying to get the display setup properly.
>
>I have done a XWin.exe -fullscreen -depth 8, which should set up the
>screen to a depth of 8, correctly... Any idea what else I should be
>doing?
>
>This is in regards to the message I saw at:
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/63/4620?40#mfs
>
>I'm hoping that you have resolved all this by now, and have a simple
>howto to point me to.
>
>Arthur

Arthur,

Try running freeColors to see if you have available read-write color
cells. You may need to configure your server for -class PseudoColor
in addition to the depth of 8 bits.

I will be releasing GEMPAK 5.6.h with support for 24 bit color displays
in the near future which may solve your troubles in having to create
an 8 bit display.

Steve Chiswell