20020605: GEMPAK Licensing

>From: Chuck Watson <address@hidden>

>We work with the Organization of American States, USAID, the State of Florida
>Division of Emergency Management, the University of Central Florida
>Department of Statistics and other agencies on meteorological hazard studies,
>especially tropical cyclone storm surge, wave, and wind damage forecasts.  We
>are presently using GEMPAK 5.4 licensed via the NTTC, which we ported to
>Linux, but would like to use the improved version developed by Unidata.
>
>We have developed several tools for storm surge, wave, and wind damage
>calculations which we would be happy to contribute once we have brought them
>up to speed to the new version, if there is interest in that from the
>community.
>
>Chuck
>
>--
>Chuck Watson
>Watson Technical Consulting
>330 Columbus Drive, Savannah, Georgia 31405 USA
>address@hidden, http://www.methaz.org
>(912) 663-1254 voice, (912) 234-9048 fax

Chuck,

To download GEMPAK from Unidata's web portal site, go to:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/

See the bottom 2 links "register as a Unidata User" and
"download GEMPAK".

Once you have registered by creating a login for yourself, you
can download the software- current version available is 5.6.f
(source code as well as Linux executables are available).
The registration process provides that you agree to the
disclaimer regarding the software as we cannot make any guarantees
to the suitability, support, etc. Be sure to review that.

To build from source, under Linux, you need gcc with g77, as well
as the openmotif RPM. The GEMPAK 5.6.f binaries I provided are compiled
under RedHat 7.1.

Since we do not have the resources to provide support to commercial
companies, our primary resources for you are the online
support archives, web pages, as well as the gembud email list.