20020529: 20020524: Gempak Binary Installation

Pavel,

Your error message when trying to launch ntl (or freeColors)

>ldm% bin/sol/ntl -s 32
>Resource File:  /space/home/ldm/Gempak/resource/Ntop
>graphic, satellite, radar -- 33 32 20
>         Request total # of colors = 85
>X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
>operation)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  86 (X_AllocColorCells)

appears to show that your default X visual is not 8 bit pseudocolor.
You can run the /usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo command to show what your
default visual id and setting is. It will probably show that your default
visual id is set to 24 bit true color. It should be 8 bit for
GEMPAK programs to be able to allocate their colors.

If you are running with the default visual as 24 bits, check your
/usr/dt/config/Xservers file and see if you are specifying "defdepth 24".

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support