20020522: NLCLR error

>From: sean <address@hidden>

>Hi there,
>
>Were trying to get gempak to run from cron on a solaris system.  We have
>ntl running.  The programs run ok when run manualy from console, but
>when run from the cron it gives this error:
>
>NLCLR  coloe for read/write cannot be allocated
>
>What is the error here?
>
>Sean Daida
>address@hidden

Sean,
When run from cron you must ensure that the DISPLAY environmental variable
is set by your script- because it won't be part of your environment otherwise.

Also, Solaris has something called a "magick cookie" that controls who can
connect to your console- generally, it only allows the user logged in to
the console to draw to the display (that keeps other users on the system from
doing malicious things, like xdumping your private emails etc...). You have
to have the console user allow access to the server using "xhost + machinename".

The alternative to using the system console, which may be inconvenient for that
user, is to use a program called Xvfb to create a second display in memory
to draw to instead of the console.

Steve Chiswell