20020512: gdplot wind component in specified direction

>From: Cheryl Lacotta <address@hidden>

>I am trying to plot the component of the wind in a specified direction,
>say 140 degrees, on a grid.  Since there is no parameter similar to
>SNPLOT's "WCMP" in GDPLOT, I would think the simplest way to do this is
>to dot the wind vectors into a vector in the specified direction, but I
>wouldn't know how to specify that vector.  Any ideas?
>
>Cheryl

Cheryl,

If you wanted to compose a vector, you could use the VECN(S1,S2) function
where S1 and S2 would be your components. For a unit vector with direction
of 140, the DOT(V1,V2) might look like:

GFUNC=dot(wnd,vecn(.6428,-.7660))

Another GEMPAK function is VASV(V1,V2) which is useful if you wanted to
determine
V1 along V2.

Steve Chiswell