20020328: Calculation of CAPE from CD-ROM soundings

Matthew,

It could be the need to interpolate temperature and dewpoint over
levels missing data, or something else. Remember that the STNDEX allows you
to specify the depth of the layer from which the lifted parcel
is computed. The default for CAPE is CAPE!500. Verying the depth
of the layer of course can change the computed value especially
if the boundary layer lape rate causes the surface temperature value
or moinsture not to be representative of the layer.

Can you provide me with the soundings for one of the times below.
Snlist output for all levels would be fine.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support